For us, Listen to Your Mother audition season is, quite literally, the most wonderful time of the year.
Listen to Your Mother is the celebration of motherhood that we all wish we’d thought of, and that luckily national director Ann Imig did think of! Now affectionately known as LTYM, Listen to Your Mother is a series of live, on-stage readings across North America on or around Mother’s Day.
Most LTYM readers aren’t professional writers and many of them aren’t mothers. LTYM readers are people with stories about motherhood to tell. And this includes absolutely everyone—especially you.
The mission of each LTYM show is to give voice to motherhood–the good, the bad, the sad, the ugly, the hilarious, the golden, and of course, the beautiful–in the form of original, true readings performed live on-stage by their authors.
We are beyond thrilled to host the sixth LTYM show in the Twin Cities. Our show will stay at its beautiful home, the historic Riverview Theatre in Minneapolis, and our show date is Thursday, May 10th at 7:PM.
Auditions will be February 10th-13th, so it’s time to get writing!
Some things to note:
- Your story should be 3-5 minutes long — time yourself and add or delete as needed, then time yourself again. We’ll time you at auditions as well.
- The theme is motherhood, what you do with this is up to you. But your story has to center around motherhood — the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly, the sad, the scary, and, of course, the golden.
- Tell the story only you can tell. Be detailed. We want you.
- To get ready for your audition, watch past stories on the LTYM YouTube channel. There are over 1,000 stories in the Listen to Your Mother YouTube archive. We’re partial to our Twin Cities alumni, but there are a ridiculous number of stories to watch to get a feel for LTYM and to get you in the mood to audition. You can search by theme if you’d like to hear stories that center around the same topic as yours.
- All stories might be edited.
- Consider yourself booked on show day. We’ll have a tech rehearsal that day, time to be determined.
- There are two mandatory group rehearsals prior to the show -- March 17th 9:00-1:00 and April 22nd 2:00-5:00. These are mandatory because we need to hear your story with the others to know how they’ll all best fit together to tell a collective story of motherhood.
- Before auditions, practice reading your story out loud. We want to get a taste for what our audience will hear and feel on May 10th.
Our four audition dates are:
- Saturday, 2/10/18 Southdale Library - Second Floor Conference Room 9:15 to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 2/11/18 Hosmer Library - Study Room 12:15 to 5 p.m.
- Monday, 2/12/18 Edina Library - Conference Room 4 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, 2/13/18 Penn Lake Library - Meeting Room 4 to 8 p.m.
You can sign up for (only) one slot that works for you at the link below. If you need to change your appointment, please do so in a timely manner so someone else can have that slot.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your time slot to complete an audition sheet and bring two extra copies of your piece to your audition so each director can have one.
Remember that your piece must be no longer than 5 minutes when read aloud.
We can't wait to hear YOUR story!
We're so very grateful to The Willy Team of Edina Realty, Ann Marie Photography, The Red Balloon Bookshop, Kick Start Martial Arts, and Twin Spirits Distillery for sponsoring LTYM Twin Cities this year and we're so very honored to once again donate 10% of our ticket proceeds to The Jeremiah Program.